Saturday, May 10, 2008

We Walked, Walked & Walked Some More

On the same day we visited Parc Guell we walked. Instead of catching the bus or the train back, which was my idea, I got outvoted to walk. We walked, walked, and walked some more. Until the point were my shins hurt and my back contracted around my spine. If you were to look at a tourist map Parc Guell is a considerable distance from Plaza Catalunya. When you walk it it definitely feels that way plus more.

Walking I explored more of Barcelona than I had the previous 3 months of living here. We walked all the way back to Plaza Catalunya for some Falafel's which I had grown tiresome just after a few days. But for 4 Euros with free refills its a good meal on a budget. What we did discover though, which made the tremendously tiresome walk back worthy was a small Ice Cream/Lounge bar off La Rambla. For 5 Euros and a large glass of 3 delicious ice cream scoops you can't go wrong. One is enough to share between 3 people but being indulgent can't help but one between two is enough to fill the most hungriest of individuals.

After eating we ended up walking back halfway from where we came, to see La Segrada Familia. Wasn't the most pleasant thought but I've gained a few kilos since being here so why not get the exercise. All the monuments and attractions in Barcelona are quite a distant away from each other requiring train connections to reach each one. But being the adventurous type we were we decided to walk, and walk some more... again.

Walking towards La Segrada Familia it was the first time I discovered another one of Barcelona's major attractions, Casa Battlo.

Although the building is quite small in comparison to other Gaudi's works I had previously seen it was still quite a spectacle see. If I were on my own I would have entered the building, but we unfortunately passed after hours.

Casa Battlo is positioned quite tightly between two ordinary buildings and an ordinary location, which is why unless you have tourist guide or Gaudi book it's quite unnoticeable from a distance. If we didn't pass the building I most probably wouldn't have ever seen this building during our stay here so passing by was a fortunate circumstance.

Tired after walking such a tremendous distance we finally reached a must see tourist attraction in Barcelona, La Segrada Familia. Love it or hate it, the building is purely a one of a kind spectacle. A building reminiscent of a dream castle defined in children's tales. For that reason there is no other building like it in the world as Gaudi's work is adventurous and precarious, in the way that other architects seem to abide by common rules of what the majority prefer.

La Segrada Familia is breathtaking at night with the light complimenting its size and grandeur. After seeing this monument late at night, it made me appreciate Gaudi's work even more with his interpretation of blending fantasy with architectural creativity. It seems as if Gaudi was living surrealistic dream resemblant to that of Salvador Dali but instead of creating and painting it on canvas, Gaudi built it. A real world fairy tale.

No comments: