Friday, March 21, 2008

Helping a Beggar

Walking around Barcelona if not Spain there is a substantially large amount of beggars in comparison to living in the Gold Coast all of my life. I guess the reason being is that its a lot easier for people to immigrate or migrate throughout European countries being so close and confined.

I've gotten used to saying 'no' or turning a blind eye to a majority of them. It's even rumored that respectable amount of them are even quite wealthy and earn more than the average full-time hard working individual.

One beggar that caught Katrina's eye was an elderly man sitting next to a sign which had written "Please help me I'm from Australia, Passport & Wallet stolen. Money or Work would be greatly appreciated". I didn't really take notice at the time and ignored the gentlemen as signs have been used quite extensively and it almost comes to the point where you begin to not even notice them.

The sign effected Katrina more so and it played throughout her mind as we walked past looking for a decent restaurant. We ended up returning back to speak to the man sitting alone by the sidewalk.

He gave us quite an in depth story of how he went to the Australian embassy in Madrid, which were of little help. He told us how he doesn't really have anyone else to help him. It was strange though being in such a position that this man was reluctant to contact any relatives to inform them of his situation to help him out. He was hesitant to contact his elderly mother back in Australia as his story detailed her of being quite sick and he didn't want to worry her more so about his safety.

While we were talking to the helpless man a stranger walked by and handed the man a folded piece of paper, the elderly man opened it, which read "If this is true you are stupid and if not........" Not sure what that was supposed to mean as the guy that gave it to him walked away without returning.

Even though I was leaning towards this guy being a con I started to have a empathy towards him as if to put myself in his situation what would I have done? I know I'd have a lot more friends and family that would not hesitate to help me out. But hey if this guy has nobody Katrina and I decided to give him 4 Euros. After I gave it to him I was kind of shattered... that adds up to about $7 AUS!!! That's the most I've ever given a beggar. Oh well if its to help out someone thats desperately in need of help, so be it. It felt really good though being able to help someone out even if it was small.

No comments: