Sunday, July 06, 2008

Seville Concludes

Apart from being uncomfortably hot, Seville was quite an enjoyable site seeing city. I couldn’t imagine spending more time in the city than what we did though as its quite small. Some of the people that we met were spending the next 7 or so weeks in the hot city. That would be a torturous experience.

During our stay there we visiting one of Andalucia’s oldest Cathedrals. It also consisted of another exhausting bell tower climb. When you’re climbing a bell tower with the heat claustrophobia amplifies 10 times more. My favourite area in Seville though was Alcaraz, which was a combination of Muslim/Hebrew influence from the North of Africa and Spanish culture itself. The buildings and interior were all well crafted and the gardens complimented its extravagance. Seville is one of Spain's most oldest Ports. With boats docking here from the America's. It's also renowned to be a shipping port founded by Christopher Colombus himself.

Seville is dividing with a river than runs through half of the city. At night the river is lit up with primary tourist attractions is a dynamic display of reflection off water and decorated lighting. I actually took nightly walks during our stay there as it was too hot for me to fall asleep even though we had air conditioning. Along the river are pubs and clubs, whose parties continue on through the late morning.

The positive vibrancy and positive environment of our hostel was contributed by the events that they held. Either a rooftop tappa’s night or flamenco night. Katrina and I attended both, which allowed us to escape our continuous connection as we’ve been together for 24/7 for the past 6 months. The flamenco night was a lot more enjoyable and professional than what I thought it would be and it was FREE. The female flamenco dancer was the typical serious stereotype of a hard Spanish woman. Constantly death staring those who spoke or made noise as she danced. But she was very good. The male singer was very reminiscent of a Gypsy King singer. He even sounded the same. It was great to experience such Spanish culture and even more authentic having been free as that would have been the same back in the past. Unlike the professional shows held in Barcelona and Madrid that charge over 50 Euros.

Our last day in Seville was spent relaxing in the hostel. Actually a majority of the people there preferred to stay there until later in the evening when the weather cooled down to site see around the town. I was actually going to head out with a come Canadians whom I met there on our last night, but I wasn’t allowed in for some unknown reason. Maybe the Spanish guy at the door didn’t like the way I looked. I never got to see the Canadian people again as we left at 7am the next morning. Our time to leave Seville had come and we were set to experience more of Spain…

No comments: