Sunday, July 06, 2008

Off to Seville

After a last minute dash for an early train ride, imitating the runs as if we were a couple out of The Amazing Race. We caught our train by 5 minutes spare. If you’re ever in Spain the AVE (high speed) trains are luxury compared to their run down counterparts. Leaving early in the morning it was raining and quite cold in Madrid, just a mere 15 degrees. Arriving in Seville was a totally opposite story. Exiting the train we could feel the instant heat of what is renowned to be the hottest city in Spain. Situated in the southern central area of Spain, the heat of Seville is something I have never experienced. With the isolated dry breeze that roasts through the air.

What amplifies the experience of heat even more is lugging a suitcase and a backpack through coble brick streets. We got lost looking for our hostel, which online the instructions seemed quite easy but to follow them is a totally different story. We eventually found the hostel, the back of a shirts drenched wet as if it had been targeted by a water balloon.

At first impressions Triana Backpackers was a totally different situation than the hostel that we previously stayed at in Madrid, Albergue Juvenil Madrid. Here the dorm doors were wildly open with people’s belongings lying everywhere, there only lockers in the dorms which could have only fit a book. But there were lockers downstairs next to reception if you scored them quick enough before everybody else did. There were only two relatively slow computers that functioned well. But in saying such comments the hostel did prove to be one of the most enjoyable hostels that I had ever stayed at. It had a real comfortable home feel, and to not make new friends or meet people here is virtually impossible. Katrina and I met a lot of interesting people there, all of whom had their own unique stories to tell and advice for future travel plans. Even though Seville was scorching hot I’d definitely return just to stay at this hostel again and to meet more interesting people that we met there. It felt like I was living through Schoolies all over again but with people whom I had yet to know and varied in ages. I think half the hostel when we originally arrived were all from Australia.

On our first day of arriving in Seville, Katrina and I stayed in the hostel until later on in the afternoon for the weather to slightly cool down. We met a couple of Australian girls, Felicity and Bridget, that we walked around the town with taking the typical tourist shots at the obvious tourist locations. We walked sparingly though as the heat was extremely dehydrating. This was going to be a long three days…

No comments: