Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snow For The Very First Time

On the 3rd of February I felt snow for the very first time. Seeing snow for the very first time will return any adult to their childhood dreams of having snow fights, christmas and snow men.
Not sure what it is but there´s something tranquil and nostalgic about being in the snow. I guess it´s because everything seems so quiet and isolated when its snowing.

Katrina actually surprised me with the gift as she knew that I had never previously touched snow before and it´s something I had always wanted to do. So one of the first things she did before we left for Spain was to book us a trip somewhere where it snowed.

My first snow location was to be Geneva, Switzerland. The land of the Swizz Army Knife, The Geneva Convention, Cheese, Expensive cars, Roger Fedderrer and Snow... Lots of it. The good thing about Geneva is that the currency is quite similar to that of the Australian dollar, so spending money wasn´t too bad but I´d prefer it to be the conversion rate of Bali.

Flying into Geneva from Barcelona you can view some truly remarkable areas and conditions by which people live. Isolated towns draped in snow and deserted by endless landscapes of mountains and white lands. In a geeky way its quite reminiscent of the snow scene out of Star Wars 2. Wind blows through the mountains like a light spindle of webbing.

Geneva is a unique small city with a fountain located in the centre that powers 500 Litres per second into the air. The city looks out into high cliff faces covered in snow. Most of which you have to catch transport to reach. We caught a bus than linked to a carry cart to a mountain that was along the French border. Of which the money converts to Swizz Francs then to Euros all from a 5 minute carry cart ride up a hill. The area in which we went to wasn´t a ski field but was more famous for its mountain scenery and hiking. The cliff face overlooks the city of Geneva which is truly an unbelievable site.


The city of Geneva is very similar to that of Barcelona filled with buildings no higher than 6-8 stories.

Switzerland is a unbelievable place and from the places I´ve seen so far I could definately spend some time throughout different places there. At the moment I think I actually prefer Switzerland more than Spain. I´m hoping to return back there in the summer...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Ed, this is really cool. I mean it's "COOL". How lucky you are to be able to touch snow and to have visited one of my favorite cities.
Good luck guys, wish you safe and luck in all your journey.


Cheers
Kal