If there was a town in Spain that was to resemble that of an Australian town then Malaga would be it. The only difference is that Malaga is much more older with a lot more history.
If you’ve ever been to Burleigh on the Gold Coast, Malaga is somewhat reminiscent with a respectable beach to Spain’s hard grain standards and is also quite clean. Even though the weather was scorching once again the water was still ice cold. The ocean waters must still be melting off the glaciers of the high mountain ranges of the Sierra Nevada close by.
After eagerly escaping the stressful and boring small town of Cadiz we were excited to get off the bus. The bus ride was only a few hours long. I think our only run in with poverty, thieves or beggar’s which tends to run high in touristic town traps of Spain, was near the main bus and train stations. Other than that the beach town of Malaga is quite nice. I began to see why Spain was so popular for its hot weather with tourist after seeing Malaga.
The Hostel that we stayed at though was quite comforting also. It was more of a house that had turned into hostel and when I say feels like a house I mean feels like a house in everyway. A typical beach house that is. With young college aged students that have extended their stay due to the party house atmosphere of drinking and “smoking” in the courtyard that was illuminated in a hippy light mixture throughout the late hours of the night. Having said that it did make the environment and culture of the hostel feel very laid back and surprisingly safe. Being the stereotypical beach house there were also people that tended to spend their days in the house “smoking”, while listening to Bob Marley and Manu Chao. The relaxed yet good vibe atmosphere of the hostel was also heightened with the Malaga FC being moved into the 1st division Spanish League.
After such a stressful constant of travelling the last few days, Katrina and I decided to take three days in Malaga very easy. It was one of our better experiences in Spain with beautifully coloured gardens and green streets. We spent a majority of time on the bronzed skinned beach just relaxing and tanning… if we already weren’t tanned enough. I think by this time in our travels I was darker than I have ever been. We didn’t take too many photos since Malaga is quite small and we were over walking around looking at one historic site to another. But after taking over 200 photos in each town beforehand not taking many photos here was probably a good thing.
If I could recommend a city to visit if anyone were to travel through Spain I’d highly recommend Malaga as it was easily one of our favourites. Though I couldn’t imagine spending more than a few days there unless you enjoy staying at the hostel we stayed in. Some people had also extended their stay there to a week or more after originally only planning to stay just a few days. But I guess that would be most enjoyable if you’re into the laid back hippy life, which I don’t mind every now and then… excluding the “smoking” part.
No comments:
Post a Comment